2017 – The Year of Digital QualityFY 2017 is just around the corner and it is that time of the year when technology trends and predictions are starting to spread all over. As your organization leadership is probably setting the strategic goals for 2017 inline with the market demands, challenges, and trends, it would be smart to validate your digital plans during this planning. Industry digitalization FY 2017 will involve dramatically the enablement of Digital Technology Platforms as Gartner, Inc. predicted recently as part of its 2017 top 10 technology trends that “will be strategic for most organizations in 2017” Gartner says. The information Technology Research company has identified five major focal points to enable the new capabilities and business models of digital business — information systems, customer experience, analytics and intelligence, the IoT, and business ecosystems. Every organization will be required to realize the right combination of these five digital technology platforms. Holding a significant and efficient grip in these technology pillars is a critical enabler to becoming a digital business, Gartner says.
Digital is disrupting the nature of business as we know them today
Digital transition is not an easy task. It is clear that the paradigm shift from traditional IT systems in some cases into a play of ‘connected everything’ is not always smooth as it may sound. We live in an era where Telco players are looking to become banks, banks as the digital technology early adopters are decreasing the number of their branches and in some cases opening coffee shops, and where coffee shops are selling more on mobile than over the counter. I think that it makes sense to say that most of the enterprises today, are perceiving themselves also as Technology companies to some extent.
How to build Digital Quality Strategy
- Information Systems – behind this focal point that Gartner is highlighting, stands the need to support almost every glass (screen) and drive early feedback on every build and segment that is tested. Digital coverage of the information systems should be translated to testing over real devices and browsers and better fit also into development cycles.
- Customer Experience – Optimizing the User Experience is one of the major challenges that digital businesses are facing these days. The high pace of releases of new devices and operating systems increases the need to create responsive test cases across all digital platforms in your lab. With that said, you will be also required to establish a continuous examination process of the quality status as part of your DevOps. In order to do so, you should consider using advanced reporting tool that will enable slicing & dicing the test execution data to fit your professional focus/role. Quality and development teams should benefit from using reporting tools mainly in order to expedite the failure triaging process and detect issues earlier in the development cycle. They can also better dispatch bugs and communicate quality across the organization intuitively.
- Analytics and intelligence are the natural extensions of the UX Digital Technology Pillar the Gartner mentions. As part of this Epic, it is clear that quality data derived from the test executions should be analyzed and harvested from different sources in order to create insights. The quality visibility that is provided by different Analytics and Intelligence tools should be communicated also up-the-ladder to management levels. Under such capacity, some dashboards and advanced visualization tools are needed in order to assist executives working in a fast-paced CI/CD environment by optimizing their decision-making process as they’ll be able to take release decisions based on an educated knowledge of the quality status.
- IoT – As different IoT devices are becoming an inseparable part of our lives, this growing market already requires today testing of ‘gadgets’ that ensures high-quality lifestyle along with life-saving medical devices. Connected cars testing is a new test case scenario that a year ago was science fiction and looking forward to the next, it is clear that we will be seeing a handful of new use cases such as pacemaker control and intactness to health & fitness apps using the same heart pace to stay in shape.
- Business ecosystem - the last item but not certainly in priority. High availability and advanced capabilities of business services are becoming a prerequisite of Digital business’s presence. Banking apps and functional financial services serving Millions are being tested more and more, as Digital banking consumption models are also changing not only due to the different engagement with millennials as well as with additional consumer segments. Using the Image Injection capabilities, banking customers are already creating images to be used with check scanning mobile Banking Apps.