The adoption of DevOps methodology has increased and the need to release to production in shorter cycles is driving teams to accelerate process and embed early test automation.
Teams operating in this release velocity need fast & reliable feedback for every code change to ensure app quality. Is this new process forcing teams to choose between automation frameworks?
Espresso (Android) and XCUITest (iOS) are UI automation frameworks that fit very well with this new development process .
Many teams are trying to make a decision – which test automation framework to adopt?
The below comparison table highlights the key areas to consider when making this choice.
Espresso & XCUITest:
– Used more by developers \ devTesters that has developer’s skills
– Fast and reliable– Run much faster and more reliable over time due to the architecture of the framework.
– Best used for pre-commit and CI fast feedback validations
– Used mainly by QA \ Automation teams
– Full coverage with better validations
– Nightly executions
– Best used for full regression testing (Coverage)
Learn more on the differences and advantages of each framework on this recent webinar comparing Appium vs espresso/ XCUITest:
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to which automation framework you should chose.
While there are teams that choose to select one framework, there are many teams that will combine the two.
It will be very interesting to see where the market will go in the next few years – I’m sure we will see significant increase in Espresso and XCUITest,
increase in overall test automation execution and overall increase in fast feedback practices.