Enterprises using Microsoft Visual Studio Online are ambitiously trying to deliver winning digital experiences for users, but are challenged by a variety of factors, including:
- Creating an efficient workflow with diverse sets of tools
- Managing a complex mobile lab
- Using enough automation to deliver applications in a timely fashion
In short, there’s a lack of integration and it limits the ability to be Agile.
Perfecto and Microsoft are here to help. Today, we announced a jointly-developed integrated solution that allow users of Visual Studio IDE (available Dec. 20) and Microsoft Visual Studio Online (VSO) (available today) to develop and test their mobile and web apps efficiently using Perfecto’s cloud-based Continuous Quality Lab (CQ Lab).
Perfecto’s Extensions for Visual Studio and VSO enable build orchestration and test development from within the Microsoft tool stack with the aim of reducing testing time and increasing digital test coverage. Because of the full integration with Perfecto’s CQ Lab, the extensions will support both manual and automated app testing on real devices from within any browser with full remote access to the devices and apps under test. This joint solution allows Microsoft DevTest teams to use the IDE they’re already familiar with to bring the user experience into a continuous delivery process.
What the Perfecto and Microsoft Visual Studio Online Integration Looks Like
The extensions will inherit all the enterprise-grade capabilities of the CQ Lab, such as: test automation with visual and real objects analysis support, Wind Tunnel™ testing capabilities based on personas (supporting network virtualization, GPS location and more), cloud-based enterprise security capabilities, and a large pool of real devices in various locations.
Here are just a few benefits of the Perfecto-Visual Studio integration that will create an efficient mobile app development tool chain:
- Easy exploratory testing: Using Microsoft’s new Chrome extension, Perfecto’s VSO extension has the capability to perform manual tests and report bugs directly from within the browser to VSO.
- Automate testing for fast feedback: Use the Perfecto Extension for Visual Studio to develop and debug automated test scripts directly from within the Visual Studio interface.
- Ensure quality during every build: With Perfecto’s Extension for VSO release, teams can now manage test automation projects and orchestrate testing from within the Build process, including integrated reporting completely from the cloud.
The end-goal of these new integration’s is to help Microsoft DevTesters achieve continuous quality in a cloud-based environment that’s always on, always up-to-date with market changes and that works with the leading continuous integration (CI), such as Jenkins, and automation test frameworks. This solution can bridge the gaps that can become common among cross-functional teams in an organization. Also, the efficiency that will result from these integrations will reduce time-to-market for new and existing apps — a critical measurement in a fast-moving digital market.
The Perfecto Extensions can be accessed from Microsoft’s Visual Studio Marketplace.
You can read more about the integration and see sample test code developed in C# in this Perfecto Community series.